Site Map | Search this site:

Otaki Museum highlights Main St
June 24, 2020
By Di Buchan, Exhibition Convenor
Otaki Main St features in a new exhibition opening at the Otaki Museum on July 17.

Otaki Museum's new exhibition opening July 17 highlights the history of Main Street.
With the opening of the new exhibition the museum will be back to its pre-Covid-19 times opening at 10am and closing at 2pm Thursday to Saturday.
The exhibition, As Time Goes By the Changing Face of Main Street, tells the story of Main Street from the time when it was merely a junction on the old coach road route along the beach from Paekakariki to the Rangiatea and Pukekaraka mission stations in Otaki and beyond to Foxton. It was the place where horses were changed, their shoes and saddles repaired and coachmen rested. Mail bags were picked up and delivered and refreshments and a bed were available at several guest houses. From 1872 the Telegraph Hotel was up and running with a roaring trade and the places selling wares and services became more plentiful and substantial.

It was not until 1921 that the section of road between Aotaki Street and the Rangiuru Road-Te Rauparaha Street intersection was named Main Street. Prior to that it was part of Mill Road.

The exhibition provides many snippets of information, memories and photos of some of the shops and services that have operated from Main Street over the past 150 years as well as some of the events that have shaped the Street up until the 1960s.

There will be quizzes for students one for primary and another for secondary students with all correct entries going into a draw for a prize. It is hoped that this will encourage our younger generation to visit the museum and increase their knowledge of the town in which they live.

 
Comments
No comments.
 
Add a comment:
Name:
Comment:
 

Reload Image
  To prevent spam, please type the numbers and letters that appear above into the field below:

 

Other stories in this section:
KC News: the Internet Newspaper for the Kapiti Coast