Te Araroa -Paekakariki Escarpment Track to Open
Te Araroa - New Zealand's Trail will open the spectacular Paekakariki Escarpment Track on Saturday 9 April.
Register for one of five walk departure times (every 30 mins from 11am to 1pm) and be one of the first to experience this newest addition to Te Araroa. Even better - dodge the traffic and catch the train to Paekakariki then home again from Pukerua Bay.
The Track is 10km long and takes about four hours to complete. It runs high above the railway line between Paekakariki and Pukerua Bay and presents plenty of steps up, where you'll be rewarded with stunning views of the Kapiti Coast and beyond. It's the Wellington region's very own Stairway to Heaven!
The opening walk day will be cancelled if there is bad weather.
Please note the following:
- Catching the train is the best form of transport, however if you choose to drive please park in the Paekakariki Railway Station
- To enter the track, from Paekakariki village walk south to the end of Ames St turning left onto the path along SH1 and then down the steps immediately north of the rail overpass
- The walk is unsuitable for people with vertigo and children younger than 8 as it is a challenging walk with a lot of steps, climbs and two swingbridges. It can be exposed in poor weather
- Bring sunblock, appropriate clothing, and food and water
- There are no toilets on the track - use the facilities in Paekakariki (corner Beach Rd and Wellington Rd) and adjacent to the Pukerua Bay shops
- There are cafe and bar facilities in Paekakariki, to fuel up before or after your walk
- No dogs - the track passes through private farming land
Other stories in this section:
KC News: the Internet Newspaper for the Kapiti Coast