Site Map | Search this site:
Waikanae Lagoon monitored for toxic algae
March 2017
Waikanae's Waimanu Lagoon is being monitored for toxic algae.

Kapiti Coast District Council is advising people to keep their dogs on leashes if heading near Waimanu Lagoon in Waikanae this weekend due to the potential presence of a toxic algae.

The Council has tested an algae growth, thought to be a blue-green algae, at the lagoon and will be able to confirm after the weekend whether it is toxic or not.
The algae has been spotted around the edge of the lagoon and Council staff has a sample in for testing.
As a precaution, people are advised if they are taking their dogs for a walk in the area to please make sure it is on a leash.
Signage has been put up at the site advising people using the walking track around the lagoon.
What to look out for:
In lakes and slow flowing waters, cyanobacteria algae grow in a free floating (also called planktonic) form, which can cause the water to become murky or cloudy.
Free floating cyanobacterial blooms are generally green in colour and can give lakes a 'pea soup' appearance. Free floating cyanobacteria can also form films or scums on the water's surface, especially at the water's edge.

More information about toxic algae can be found at www.gw.govt.nz/toxic-algae

 
Comments
No comments.
 
Add a comment:
Name:
Comment:
 

Reload Image
  To prevent spam, please type the numbers and letters that appear above into the field below:

 

Other stories in this section:
KC News: the Internet Newspaper for the Kapiti Coast